A dentist and his wife, along with 2 of their four children died this past weekend from something that may have been preventable...CARBON MONOXIDE POISONING.
A good friend of ours posted this info on facebook as a help so that we never have to go through something so sad in our own families:
With the terrible news of an entire family dying due to carbon monoxide poisoning this weekends many of us are rethinking how we can protect our families.
KSL News listed these things to help us.
At least one detector should be on every floor, especially near appliances and bedrooms.
Check the device monthly.
Change the batteries twice a year.
Replace the monitor every six to 10 years depending on the manufacturer.
"The things that will cause carbon monoxide are water heaters, fireplaces or any other gas burning appliances," Anderton said.
A licensed professional should check these appliances every year.
"Some things to look for would be to make sure all of your vent piping is securely connected and hasn't come loose in any way," Anderton said.
Anderton said to also make sure nothing is blocking the airways in your home. Without proper airflow, gases could be brought back down through the vents and into your home. If carbon monoxide begins leaking, people within the home could experience fatigue, headache, mental confusion and vomiting.
"There's at least 150 deaths per year (from carbon monoxide poisoning)" Anderton said.
If you need new alarms, click here to pick up a few for a great price and offer a prayer in favor of the Parrish family. God be with them.